If you are new to journaling and you find yourself spending more time staring at a blank page than writing, here are some journaling prompts to help you get writing. You can print this list out, or save it, or print it and cut them up into strips. Fold the strips, put them into a box or a jar, and pull one out every day, week, or month to keep you writing regularly. Even if you’re not new to journaling and you find yourself lost for words, try a few of these prompts to get you back into your creative mode.
This list will continued to get updated whenever I think of more things to add to the list! Check back every now and then!
- Did you have a favorite elementary/high school teacher? Describe them in as much detail as you can and why they were your favorite.
- What was your favorite subject in school? Why? What are some of your best memories of this subject?
- What are some of your fondest memories of elementary/high school/college/university? Describe them in as much detail as you can.
- What is something that terrifies you? Why?
- What is something that no one knows about you?
- What is one book that you read repeatedly in elementary/high school?
- Who was your first love? What is it about them that you can’t forget?
- What is your greatest desire? Why?
- Make a list of 30 things that make you happy.
- What is your most memorable vacation and why?
- Name one or two countries that you really want to visit and why.
- Describe something you did recently in as much detail as you can. Pretend you are describing your actions as a character in a book.
- What animal do you feel you have a strong connection to? Why?
- What does the word ‘fearless’ mean to you? When was the last time you were fearless? Was there ever a time you wish you had been fearless? What happened and how will you be fearless next time?
- If money wasn’t an issue, what would you do and why?
- If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be and why?
- What were your dreams and goals as a kid and how have they changed now?
- If you could pick one country or city to describe your personality, what country/city is it and why?
- If you could choose another job, what would it be and why?
- What is your biggest regret and why? Can you change anything now?
Last Updated: May 29th, 2017